The influence of how different childhoods effect kids in school

How does neglect affect how a child interact in society

Sidney Gerner, Editor-in-Chief

All kids start school learning the same things. How to spell, write and count. Why do kids turn out so differently? Every kid has a different home life than their classmates. What happens out of school does affect how kids act in school.

Kids who grow up out of town rather than on a farm tend to have better problem-solving skills. Studies have shown that kids who are more involved in school activities tend to do better in class. Many different scenarios affect a child’s life. One that stands out to most schools is neglect. Schools are trying their best to better every child’s education.

Many students are on the free lunch program. This program ensures that no child goes hungry at school. Some kids don’t have enough food at home to feed themselves or their siblings. This program allows students to fuel not only their bodies but also their mind. Starving your child is a sign of neglect. Schools want to stop this before it gets too out of hand.
The prefrontal cortex is the part of the brain that regulates thoughts, emotions, and actions. This part of your brain matures when you get older. Children who lack attention will, later on, develop mental illnesses, such as depression and anxiety. This may cause physical conditions, such as stunts in growth, cognitive delay, and self-regulation skills.

Neglection affects a child for the rest of their life. In school, they tend to have a lower IQ, poor reading skills, low self-esteem, and don’t have the social skills to interact with their peers. Early child neglect can affect the outcome of a child’s adulthood and how they view themself in the future.