Four Senior Athletes Sign Letters of Intent to Continue Athletic Careers

Sierra Pirkey, Staff Writer

Every athlete has a dream of continuing their sport on to the collegiate level. However, only about 7% of all high school athletes continue on to the collegiate level. This past week, Berthoud High School had four senior athletes sign letters of intent to carry on their sports in college. 

Senior Anndee Davidson was the first athlete to sign her letter of intent. She officially committed to running track and field at Fort Hays State University in Hays, Kansas. Fort Hays State University is a NCAA Division 2 institution, and competes in one of the highest ranked conferences at the NCAA Division 2 level. Davidson plans to run as a multi-sport athlete, where she will be a heptathlete. She plans to run hurdles, compete in both long and triple jump, throw shot put, run sprints, compete in high jump, and throw javelin. Anndee Davidson is truly a prime example of hard work paying off, and we wish her the best of luck!

Senior Olivia Kruger was the second athlete to sign her letter of intent. She has committed to running both track and field and cross country at the University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kansas. The University of Kansas is a NCAA Division 1 school, and competes in one the Big 12 conference. The Big 12 conference is one of the top conferences in NCAA Division 2 sports. While in high school, Kruger achieved tons of athletic achievements, including being atop  state-ranked cross country and track runner. We can’t wait to see what Olivia does in college, and can’t wait for her to represent Berthoud High School. Go Jayhawks!

Senior Tanner Coble also signed his letter of intent. He plans to compete in shotgun sports, such as trap shooting, at Hastings College. Hasting College is a private university in Hastings, Nebraska. Hastings College is a NAIA and competes in the Great Plains Athletic Conference(GPAC). Hastings has a great reputation for an excellent shooting program, and most of their athletes place at an national level. Coble plans to compete in multiple shooting competitions, including trap shooting, skeet shooting, and sporting clays. Tanner Coble has shot competitively for years, and we have no doubt that he will have great success at the collegiate level!

Senior Sierra Pirkey was the last person to sign her letter of intent. She has committed to playing softball at Dordt University in Sioux Center, Iowa. Dordt University is a private Christian university, and competes at the NAIA level. Like Hastings College, Dordt University also competes in the Great Plains Athletic Conference(GPAC). Pirkey hopes to play middle infield positions, with hopefully most of her playing time being located at shortstop. While in high school, Sierra Pirkey has received multiple athletic awards, including being named all conference for high school softball. Sierra has played competitive softball for years, and we are all excited to see what she accomplishes in the future!

For any athlete, it is a huge accomplishment to receive an athletic scholarship and to sign a letter of intent. For four stand-out student-athletes at Berthoud High School this level of success has been achieved. Each of these students will embark on different journeys at the collegiate levels, and Berthoud High School students and teachers can’t wait to see what each of them will accomplish. Best of luck to these students, and go Spartans!