The Influence of… Moving

Josh Rodriquez

The Journalism Staff considered the influence of “moving” from other states. Many BHS students have grown up together in town, but several have come from places like Georgia, California, and Minnesota.

Sierra:

Okay. So today, we’re going to do the round table discussion on moving. And to get us started, why doesn’t everyone go around and just say where did you each move from, and when did you move?

Marybeth:

So I moved here from Georgia. It was like a little town in south Georgia. And I moved here, it was 2018., I believe. It was our summer before my freshman year. And so we moved here in about like June. So I was here for a couple months before I started school.

Sidney: 

I moved to Colorado summer of ’19 in June. I think it was like June 2nd. I moved here from a small town in Minnesota. And from there, I moved all around Minnesota, but I was also born in North Dakota.

Kevin:

I moved in like 2012, 2013. And it was from kindergarten to first grade this summer. And yeah.

Hayden:

Well, I moved from Longmont to here. That was my most influential move. It was when I came from middle school to high school.

Sierra: 

Okay. So what would y’all say the hardest part of moving is?

Marybeth:

I feel like it’s just kind of feeling lost and confused, just because being in a new place where you don’t know where anything is and you don’t know anyone, it’s just kind of extremely overwhelming just because you feel like no one… And it kind of feels like you’ll never get close with anyone here. It just feels kind of hopeless, I guess.

Sidney:

Yeah. I think getting new friends would be the hardest. Honestly, when I first moved here, I like thought, “Oh, I only have three years left. Why create friends and whatnot?” But that’s the hardest. And trying to get back into getting relationships with people again because you’re so used to being close with the people you grew up with in school and now you have to move to another school.

Kevin: 

I just think that whenever I first moved, I thought that I was never going to have a good relationship with somebody. I might have friends, but not the same close relationship that I had with my other friends. So it was awkward at first. And then the first couple of weeks not knowing anybody and having to know somebody, it was weird because I didn’t go home and talk to somebody, and things like that.

Hayden: 

I’d also have to say finding friends, because as somebody who already kind of has trouble talking to new people and establishing new connections and relationships, it’s really hard to just kind of leave everyone that you did know behind and then go into a school in a smaller area where everybody knows each other already. And you just kind of feel excluded from everyone else.

Sierra: 

Okay. I guess another question is, what are some of the advantages of moving?

Marybeth: 

I feel like it’s really cool to experience, even though it’s all in America, it’s really cool to experience different cultures and how different people act because growing up in a small town in Georgia where it’s very Southern and backwards, to say the least, and then coming- [crosstalk 00:03:33]

Sierra: 

Can you explain that a little bit more?

Marybeth: 

It’s just very… Unlike Colorado where a lot of people are moving here all the time, no one really moves there or moves away from there. I had the same group of friends from kindergarten to eighth grade, the exact same group of friends and it’s not just me that’s that way. Everyone has the same friends, and their parents went to high school together. Their grandparents went to high school together. So it’s all just very clique-ish. And then moving here where it’s not like that at all where you can meet people from all over and a lot of people with different ideas too, where Georgia’s not like that, it was just really interesting to be exposed to more, I guess.

Sidney: 

Yeah that’s about the same. Because I grew up… My class size was 80 and we had the most students in our class and everyone had their own friends, their own groups. everyone knew everything about each other. And then coming here was kind of like a breath of fresh air. No one really knew you or knew what you’ve done, and people honestly don’t care about all of the things in your past. So it was nice going to a bigger school.

Kevin: 

Yeah, I would probably say the same. I enjoy like going to a new school because most time, I get tired after a while at my current school and then I’d want to move because I want to know what other schools are like and what they’re doing. And I didn’t know anybody there, so it was kind of more fun to me to go to a new school, but yeah.

Hayden: 

It’s nice to experience new things. Yeah, that’s for sure. And it’s also just kind of nice to get away from some of the people that maybe you didn’t like eventually because a lot of those people are going to stay in the same district, stay in the same high school throughout, and so you’re going to have to deal with those people for a longer time if you don’t move. So I guess the overall advantage is that it’s just new, just new experiences in general.

Sidney:

You also kind of get a head start on what after high school is going to be like. If you go to college, you’re not going to be around the same people that you went to kindergarten with. You’re going to be around people from different states and honestly, different countries too. So it’s nice to be able to get into the real world a little quicker than everyone else.

Marybeth: 

I feel like it kind of breaks you out of your shell a lot too, because until I moved, I was super quiet. I had my group and I didn’t really talk to anyone outside of that. And I feel like I was just kind of with not the best people and it took moving to actually get me out of that because I was kind of brainwashed, I guess.

Sidney: 

Yeah. I was in the same group of people that honestly, I hated everyone, but there was no one else in that school to be friends with. So it was nice being able to… And here at Bertha classes, you could be in a class with freshman and seniors and honestly, all grades.

Sierra: 

Okay. My last question is, what are some of the best or worst memories attached with moving?

Kevin: 

With moving? Whew, that’s a really good question. I guess I don’t really have a best memory associated with moving.

Sierra: 

Well, you can talk about the worst too if you’d like.

Kevin: 

Yeah. I guess the worst memory is just kind of not being able to talk to those friends that I have had for a while. I don’t really get to see them anymore because they mostly live in Longmont, and you just grow distant with some of the friends that you did make, I guess. Yeah.

Marybeth: 

One of my best memories was, so right before where we moved here, we came out here to house hunt, I guess, and we flew out here and… It was one of the first times I ever flew on a plane. And just coming to Colorado and then the first thing you see is literally just all the mountains, it was kind of insane and it was like the first… Because I was dreading moving and then at that point, I was like, “Maybe it won’t be too bad. Maybe some good can come out of this.”

Sidney:

Yeah. I knew like a year before I’d moved, so that was probably hard to have to say goodbye to everyone, but then just how different it is… And coming from Minnesota, it’s always cloudy and dark and just a depressing state and here to Colorado where it’s all sunny and shiny and you can actually go outside and do things like hiking and you have the mountains.

Sierra: 

All right. Cool. Good discussion, guys. [crosstalk 00:08:13]