The pandemic’s effect on education

Is online school better or worse for education?

Sidney Gerner, Editor-in-Chief

At the start of the pandemic, we thought we had extra weeks of spring break. Little did we know we wouldn’t be returning to school the rest of the year. Many students were excited to get a few extra weeks for spring break, but these few weeks were the start of something more than a vacation.

Some schools, such as Berthoud, allowed students to continue their schooling if they wanted to get their grades up. Your grades could not go down, only up if you worked on assignments. At first, it was nice being able to stay home and do school. The school year went by fast and summer was a breeze. Fall of 2020 was when students knew it wasn’t going back to the same. Online and hybrid controlled our lives. We didn’t know when we were returning to school. High school is supposed to be the best four years of our life, but now we didn’t even get a full four years of it. Class of 2020 probably got the best of this ruckus. People felt bad that they didn’t get proper graduation, but what about the class of 2021 or 2022.

As a member of the class of ’22, I have missed out on so much these past years. The last year I had a normal high school year was way back as a freshman. Sophomore year started it all. Junior year was hybrid, all online, and back to in-person. Lastly, my senior has been filled with masks, masks, and more masks.

Learning is hard when you can’t even sit with your classmates or meet your teachers. Most students started to give up on their schooling because it was pointless to sit in their beds and learn. Wake up, turn your computer on for attendance, and go back to bed. This would continue for the whole time we were online. Teachers wondered why students all over the country were doing so poorly in school once the pandemic hit. US Department of Education states, “Data collected before and during the COVID-19 pandemic have shown that in-person learning, on the whole, leads to better academic outcomes, greater levels of student engagement, higher rates of attendance, and better social and emotional well-being, and ensures access to critical school services and extracurricular activities when compared to remote learning.”