Boy’s Wrestling Team Makes State Appearance

Sierra Pirkey, Staff Writer

For many athletes, the state tournament is all there is to live for. Working hard all season, putting in 100% effort at every practice, and every single drop of blood, sweat, and tears are all made worth it at the tournament. This year, the Berthoud Boy’s Wrestling team had 3 wrestlers compete at the state tournament at the Ball Arena in Denver. The 3-day tournament is one of the toughest state competitions out of all the sports, since many times the athletes can not eat to make weight for their matches. This year senior Tanner Coble, junior Will Moneypenny, and junior Evan Torres faced these challenges and still competed excellently at the tournament. Senior Tanner Coble made his first state appearance of his career and did not waste the opportunity. Coble started off the weekend by losing his first match, yet made a comeback for a final record of 2-2 for the weekend. Tanner Coble’s last appearance on the mats was a good one but unfortunately didn’t end with a win. Coble finished just one match short of placing at state, and the Berthoud community is so proud of the successes he had this season. Junior Evan Torres had a great state appearance, yet faced tough competition in the 152lb class. One highlight of the weekend for Torres was the match against his opponent from Gunnison. Torres wrestled for almost 7 minutes and fought for every second of it. Evan Torres showed great strength during the match, as he was able to last in a nail-bitting match with one of the top competitors in his weight class. Unfortunately, Evan Torres suffered a close 6-4 loss and didn’t place, but we are still so proud of him and can’t wait to see what he does when he returns to Denver next season. Will Moneypenny was the last of the boys to compete at the state tournament and was able to leave his mark in Denver. Moneypenny earned a bronze medal at the tournament in the 145lb weight division. The 145lb division is one of the hardest weight classes to compete in, due to the harsh competition the athletes must face in it.  Through a tough shoulder injury that Moneypenny has been nursing all season, he was able to defeat some of the top-ranked wrestlers in the state.  Will Moneypenny has had one of the best careers here at Berthoud High School, as this past tournament was his 3rd state appearance. We are all so proud of the success of Will Moneypenny this season, and can’t wait to hopefully see him in the finals next year. Our boy’s wrestling team has had one of the best seasons in history, and the Berthoud High School community is so proud of each of the boys who competed at the state tournament.