Journalism Staff Dances It Out

Sierra Pirkey, Staff Writer

Preface:

With prom season approaching, many students spend time reminiscing on other dance memories that have been created in the past. From the good, the bad, and the ugly, the journalism team had a roundtable discussion about memories that have been made over the years at dances. The team also discussed the upcoming dance and had a solid discussion about the expectations surrounding prom. 

Sierra:

Today we’re going to do a round table on school dances. The first question is, what are you guys’ best school dance memories, ranging from sixth grade to the past school dance that we did this past fall for homecoming?

Alex:

None of them.

Sierra:

None of them, why?

Alex:

I hate school dances. School dances are lame.

Sierra:

Why? What do you not like about it?

Alex:

I don’t know. It’s just weird to be in a group of people and just dance. I think that’s weird. I even went on a date for one of my school dances. It was sophomore year and I went with somebody. It was just not the environment. If you’ve been together with somebody, it’s cool if you go with them but if you’re just inviting them to go, it’s a letdown.

Sierra:

No, I get that. Josh, how do you feel? What are your best school dance memories?

Josh:

The eighth-grade formal was the best dance I’ve ever gone to. I don’t know what I showed up in but I remember, I was friends with a good buddy of mine and we just got a bunch of snacks. And then we stored them outside the dance. Then when we left and took the snacks. We ended up going to his house and just hanging out. I didn’t go with anyone, though. I haven’t been to a dance with a date.

Sierra:

That’s cool though. I feel like, that’s one of the memories. It’s a good way to end our middle school because that’s the last dance that we get. Kevin, what’s the best memory you’ve had at a school dance?

Kevin:

I think, this past year at homecoming was fun for me and my friends. We had a lot of fun going to the dance.

Sierra:

What’d you like about it?

Kevin:

I would say there were a lot of people there and we all had just fun. There was a vibe going on. So everybody just had fun going around and there were crowds that were fun with everybody really happy

Sierra:

Marybeth, what do you think?

Marybeth:

Sophomore year homecoming was pretty fun.

Sierra:

Why is that?

Marybeth:

It was before people really were doing dates and all our friends were just our friends and no one was really going on a date or anything. So it was just fun.

Sierra:

Yeah. It was just a girl’s night, so it was really fun. 

Sierra:

Next question. This is when we get into the good stuff: What are some of you’re worst memories at school dances. Alex, you start. 

Alex:

Sophomore year. The one time I went into that dance with the mosh pit. It smelled like sweat and I nearly passed out. I was gagging on my way out of there. 

Sierra:

I remember that! All of the seniors were up there and I remember I went up there trying to dance with my friends. I was in heels at this point and hadn’t taken them off. There were so many people crowded up there that kids were getting thrown off the stage. It wasn’t a tall stage, but in heels when you’re trying to dance and you’re falling off the stage, it’s terrifying. Josh:

Sierra:

Kevin, what’s your worst memory at a school dance?

Kevin:

I would say middle school. I didn’t like my middle school dances, just because they were just boring. Nobody would ever join in one group. It would just always be separate.

Sierra

That’s a super good point, Kevin. Middle school dances were super awkward. Marybeth, worst school dance memory ever.

Marybeth:

So our freshman year, probably only the seniors remember this, but there was the sweatpants dance and in theory, it could have been a good idea but when only 12 people max show up, including all of the student council, it got a little awkward. And it was basically just 15 people in the commons, dancing. I think I stayed for 35 minutes. 

Sierra:

I remember that! That dance was super bad. I wish I could forget about that. My worst school dance ever was in middle school. I was on crutches at this time and was wearing a really pretty dress. There had been snow outside and I came in and the student resource officer said, “Oh, hey, watch out. The floors are a little slick.” Right at that moment, my crutches slid out from under me and I fell to the floor in front of half of the grade. My date was standing there and he started laughing at me. And I just remember being so embarrassed because I looked so pretty and I spent probably, two hours getting ready for this middle school dance. 

Sierra:

The last question that we’re going to answer today is, what are your guys’ opinions on the current dance expectations?

Josh:

The prices for dance tickets are a scam. It’s scandalous.

Sierra:

Talk more about that, Josh.

Josh:

It’s $40 and I’m not made of money. I’m working and doing school and also have a lot of stuff to do at home and they expect me to pay what? $40 for myself and I’m planning to bring a date, so $75. It’s ridiculous. It’s stupid how much money they’re charging high schoolers.

Sierra:

I agree! For a lot of people, especially girls, you have to go out and most of the time you get a new dress for each dance. And most dresses are right around a hundred dollars or more. 

Marybeth:

Yeah. Mine was $150. And it’s not just the dress. You got to consider, boys and girls both have to get shoes, flowers, and everything else. Then, if you have a date, it’s even more money! 

Josh:

Yeah. Some of the boys and I are going shopping on Tuesday for suits and I’m expecting over a hundred bucks to rent a stupid suit.

Sierra:

It’s insane. Alex, what do you think? What’s your opinion on all of this?

Alex:

I’m not a very fancy person. I don’t really care about dressing up. I don’t really follow the norm very much. Especially, when it comes to dances. The only time you’ll see me dressing up is for musical performance. That’s the only time I ever look nice. I think that at prom, you should look nice. I know that the suit that I have to wear is around $300. My suit, tie, cufflinks, undershirt, vest, slacks, socks, and shoes all cost me around $300. And now we have to spend another $40 for tickets, that’s insane. 

Sierra:

Marybeth, do you want to keep going on that? What do you think? What are your opinions?

Marybeth:

I feel like there are too many expectations. They expect some insane night, life change and it never is.  It’s fun but everyone’s expecting some big all like, “Oh, my gosh. My senior prom.” But, it’s not going to be that big. And the whole expectations like, ‘Oh I need a date.’ You don’t always need a date. 

Sierra:

Kevin, do you want to talk about that a little bit? 

Kevin:

Well. I think that they should have higher expectations because they’re paying a lot of money just to go one night. And I think that maybe the people who set it up should try to make it the best for what you’re paying. 

Josh:

I think you should dress up for prom and have as much fun as possible. How often do you get to hang with your friends and be all dressed up? You don’t ever do that. So, I don’t want to spend a lot of money but I’m going to spend a decent amount because I think it’ll be fun. 

Marybeth:

I think it’s always the memories for me. I would not dream of not going to my prom, just because it’s one of those things. You’ll remember that forever, you’ll have those pictures forever. It’s one of those things you look back at, who your friends were and who your date was and it’s just memories.

Sierra:

Yeah. I remember, especially growing up, when my sister started going to prom because she was three years older than me. My mom showed us her prom pictures from back in the day. We’re not super fancy people but having that memory that I can share with my mom and later on in life, I’ll be able to share with my kids. I feel like that’s important.

Alex:

The memory aspect is very, very, very important. You can do other things on prom other than prom to make those memories. I feel like the dance is a really good excuse to look really nice and hang out with everybody. It’s about who you go with and what you do before and after. The dance also is a great chance for meshing different groups. All the cliques that we have, all that just disappears and we just find a big group of people. I would’ve never met some of the people that I’ve met unless I went to these dances. 

Sierra:

So adding to what Alex said, I guess, from my perspective, my brother graduated last year. When we had prom, it was an opportunity for me to hang out with the kids that I grew up with. Going to prom with them was an opportunity for me to say goodbye before they graduated, to the kids that I grew up with but maybe weren’t close with in high school. The same thing now, I have a decent amount of junior friends. So I feel like, it’s a good opportunity to see all those people, like what Alex was saying and reconnect and have fun, one last time before everything changes.

Josh:

Yeah. We’re all leaving. I might do the air force. People might go out of state. So we won’t see these people again probably, for the rest of our lives.

Marybeth:

I don’t know. I think it’s really cute how we want to dress up and go and hang out with people. I think it’s just a great opportunity. And I like how even if you have a date or whatever, you’ll spread out and you’ll talk to almost everyone. What type of events do you have where you can actually go around and talk to everyone?

Josh:

I remember at homecoming the DJ played “Smells Like Team Spirit”. We all just rocked out and had a great time. I don’t even talk to half of them. 

Sierra:

Yeah, those are always the best memories. Kevin, do you have anything else to say before we conclude this roundtable?

Kevin:

I think the memories are important. If you don’t go, you’ll probably regret it. And it’s important to go.

Alex:

Also, prom isn’t for everybody. Graduation isn’t for everybody. So if you’re not feeling comfortable with the dance or graduation, don’t feel pressured to go. Go if you want to go.