No One is Perfect

Sidney Gerner, Editor-in-Chief

Why do bad things happen to good people? We often question this. There is no simple answer to this question. Sometimes we get hurt and wonder why God would do this to us when we haven’t done anything wrong. We could turn this question around and ask, why do good things happen to bad people? No one is perfect and everyone knows that. God gave up his only son. He watched him suffer on the cross when he knew he could save him. No one is perfect. The definition of perfect is having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics as good as it is possible to be. How could someone who has the power of all humanity wrong a good person? We are all human and we all make mistakes. This question is most common to Christians. We ask ourselves this question because we know what God is capable of.

I believe God put me in this world because he knows I can make a difference in someone’s life. I have spent my whole life trying to be a good person but I’m not perfect. I argue with people, I lie, I complain, I’m greedy, but that’s normal. We all make mistakes and we all learn from them. As a kid, you are supposed to make mistakes. There is no other way you will learn if you don’t. Some mistakes may hurt people or yourself, but you will learn from them. I haven’t lived a single day in my life where I didn’t make a mistake, but that doesn’t mean I should be punished for it. For example, I got a question wrong on a test and now my grade went down a whole letter. I punish myself for that because I want to be perfect. God does this to me all the time. His way of punishment isn’t always bad. I lost a lot in my life and the first thing I did was ask God why he would do this to me. It took me many years to realize that those “punishments” shaped me into the person I am today. I still ask God why he does bad things to me, but I know everything happens for a reason.

For Christians, staying loyal to God sometimes can be hard. In the Bible, it states that faith in Jesus doesn’t guarantee a good life. Believing in something you can’t actually prove doesn’t mean you’re going to have a good life. Being a Christian doesn’t mean I am perfect. I have lost a lot in my life, and in the past month, I really lost myself. God took away a young soul about a month ago. I blame him for it, but He was not in control of my friend’s life. I pray and pray that He is protecting him, but I still wonder if there is an afterlife. I start to question God when something goes wrong in my life. I know it’s not his fault, even though I believe He has full control over my actions. 

I grew up in a small town and went to church almost every Sunday. I was surrounded my whole life by people who believed in God. There were around 20 people in our congress, and fewer kids since the church was filled with mostly older people. After service, the kids would get a snack, and head to Sunday school. Most afternoons were filled with the greatest show for kids, Veggie Tales. I learned a lot about God during those years of my life, but it wasn’t till I got older that I started to understand the true meaning of Christianity. Every night before I went to bed I said the bedtime prayer. I don’t say it anymore now that I am older. I started to move away from God, which was the biggest mistake I could ever make. God is the only one who knows every detail of my life, yet I sometimes question him. This proves that I am not perfect. I wish I could be a better Christian, but I am not. I blame all of my problems on God and ask for forgiveness a little too often. 

I am not perfect. No human being walking this planet is perfect. So why do we want to be perfect when no one is? People tend to get sucked into the thought that being perfect will fix all of our problems. If we look, act, and sound perfect, then we would avoid punishment. We hide from our imperfections, when in reality that is what makes all of us unique. Genesis 1:27 “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” If God’s view of you is “perfect,” then why do we want to become even more “perfect?”

As human beings, we want to protect ourselves from evil. We spend every day trying to distract one another from the evil that is in us all. We all make mistakes. Everyone has had a time in their life that they look back at and wish they could turn back the clock, but we can’t. We have to take that imperfect moment and learn from it. Mistakes are meant to make or break you. If everyone in the world was perfect we wouldn’t have any passion to live a dangerous or exciting life. When someone says they want a perfect life, the first thing I think of is a cookie-cutter neighborhood. Every house looks the same, everyone’s the same, and nothing exciting ever goes on. Is that really how you want to live a life you only get once?

This is the final paper I will ever write in high school. I have spent many years trying to perfect my writing, but there is no wrong or right way to write. You don’t have to be perfect at anything to live in this world. The greatest gift you could ever receive is your life. God spent nine months making you in His perfect image. As I got older, I learned that people like who you are based on you being yourself. People don’t care how much money you have, the clothes you wear, or the house you live in. You might think that your friends have a “perfect” life because of how you see them and how you compare yourself to them. The people you choose to have in your life will make it feel like you have a perfect life. 

No one is perfect. Bad things will happen in your life, but they show you how imperfect everyone else is. God made everyone this way because He knew we could handle the falls. Genesis 1:31 says “God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning- the sixth day.” God created this world to be perfect for us, but he didn’t create us to be perfect. Many things come into effect, like social media, celebrities, and the types of people we surround ourselves with. We like to compare ourselves to other people that we want to be. I see many rich, talented, and good-looking people online all the time, but I still would rather have the life I have. 

God has had a huge impact on how I intercept the world. Through his eyes, we are all his children, but it is up to you if you want him to be your Father. God didn’t promise us a perfect life on Earth, but he did promise eternal life in heaven. He promised that He would always be standing by our side. Having someone by your side, whether it is a friend, family member, or God, your life is going to be as perfect as you make it. 

Being perfect is boring and no one is boring. I don’t want to live my life thinking I should be perfect. The definition of perfect is having all the required or desirable elements, qualities, or characteristics as good as it is possible to be. Although, no one is perfect, and I would rather have a life that way.