Pledging for the People

Do you stand for the Pledge of Allegiance?

Sidney Gerner, Editor-in-Chief

Berthoud High School students aren’t standing for the morning pledge. The big question is why aren’t they standing, and is it even important anymore? Many students at Berthoud do think it is important to stand for the pledge because we are honoring the soldiers that have sacrificed their lives for us. Other students think it is a waste of time because it is not important to them. Teachers and staff have a big impact of how students view this scenario.

After talking with the staff at Berthoud High School, I have notice how their opinions make an impact of students because we look up to these adults to be our role models. A staff member, who wants to be anonymous, at BHS said, ” It is important to stand for the pledge because it shows our respect for the people who have died for this country. It shouldn’t be about what political side you view. We all should have respect for our country.”

The men and women who have fought for this country would want to all of us to respect them because they are scarifying their own life to keep us save, and for people to have freedom. Blaine Voth, an English teacher at BHS, said “I think it is very important to stand for the pledge. It shows that we respect these soldiers who fight for our freedom and what we stand for.”

Standing for the pledge is a personal opinion you can have. No matter what your views are, it is important to recognize the people who died for the United States of America. Doing a simple thing like standing for the Pledge of Allegiance, shows our gratitude toward those men and women.

The meaning behind standing for the Pledge of Allegiance is:

I Pledge Allegiance 

I promise to be faithful and true (promise my loyalty)

to the Flag to 

the emblem that stands for and represents 

of the United States 

all 50 states and territories, each of them individual, and individually states represented on the flag 

of American 

yet formed into a union of one nation 

and to the Republic 

and I also pledge my loyalty to the government that is itself a Republic, a form of government where the people are sovereign. 

for which it stands, 

this government also being represented by the Flag to which I promise loyalty. 

one Nation under God, 

The 50 individual states are united as a single Republic under the Divine providence of God.

Indivisible

and can not be separated 

with Liberty

The people of this Nation being afforded the freedom to pursue “life, liberty and happiness”.

and Justice

And each person entitled to be treated justly, fairly and according to proper law and principle.

for All. 

These principles afforded to every loyal American regardless of race, religion, creed, and any other criteria.

https://www.co.ottawa.oh.us/DocumentCenter/View/681/The-Pledge-of-Allegiance-PDF